1997 Sentra Died This Weekend...

I got gas, drove about three miles and it just died during heavy acceleration on the highway. It was almost as if the timing belt/chain went but I still have full compression, the starter and all electrical work fine from what I can tell, etc.

I'm thinking the problem is one of these (in order of likelihood):

FUEL PUMP: My fuse is fine. The gas gauge has been acting a bit funny for the past few years not adjusting to fuel levels fast enough, etc. but I don't see that as related. Late last week, I noticed some loss of power while driving that I now attribute to lack of fuel.

FUEL FILTER: While I doubt it's the cause, I see it as being more likely than the third reason. I don't think I've ever seen an engine simply quit and not start with a clogged fuel filter... At least not as abruptly as this one did.

BAD GAS: The stuff would have to be 100% water to cause the immediate and complete shut down that I experienced.

Am I missing something else?

If it matters, 1997 Sentra. 208,000 mi.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I just called the shop fixing the car. Looks like my rotor and cap went bad. I had zero spark on all four cylinders.

Looks like I might be walking away with a relatively inexpensive fix for the commuter car - I hope!

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

If it died three miles from the gas station, I would definitely start by checking the gas before anything else. It doesn't have to be 100% water to shit down like that. The fuel inlet is at the bottom of the tank & gas floats on water. All that has to happen is for there to be enough water to cover the inlet.

Reply to
E. Meyer