1998 Nissan Altima GXE Front O2 Sensor

I purchased a Bosch universal O2 sensor because the OE one had melted. After installing the replacement sensor the check engine light remains on. I was told by Nissan that I connected the wires incorrectly. The universal O2 sensor has 1 Black & 2 White wires. The car has 1 Red/Orange, 1 White & 1 Green wire w/ black strips. I have tried to connect both white wires on the replacement O2 sensor, one at a time of course, to the white wire connected to the car and nothing. I have reviewed the wiring diargram in my Haynes Repair Manual as well as the Universal O2 Sensor installation instructions and the wires do not match up. The install guide sayes the wires should be 1 Black, 1 White & 1 Gray and the Hanyes Manual says the cars wires should be Green/Yellow, White, & Yellow.

I am at a lose as to which wire should be connected to another. Any help??

Reply to
Jay

I hope you didn't fry the ECM by connecting the wires incorrectly.

The 3 wires are 12 volts to the heater element

A signal wire to the ECM

and a ground

If any one of those were wired wrong chances are real good the ECM is damaged

I'm curious as to how much you paid for that "universal" sensor, a factory OEM part is way less than the ECM

Haynes Manual $25.00 OEM sensor $ 150.00 New ECM $ 600.00- $ 800.00

Screwing up your car because you didn't want to buy the OEM part that fit's... PRICELESS

Reply to
NissTech

I hope I didn't fry it either, for your reason given. I didn't purchase the OEM Sensor from my local Nissan Dealership because they offered no warranty or guarantee. If it was defective or still did not correct the situation, I was out that money and could not return the O2 Sensor. So...spending the $195 would have been pointless if it didn't correct the issue. What I am going to do, however, is try to find another 98 Nissan in the junk yard and take out the sensor along with the original adaptor so that I can reconnect the car to a factory part.

Additionally, some time after posting my original message, I gave up on fixing the sensor and brought my car to my local Nissan Dealership, Inskip Nissan in Cranston RI, for them to correct. I dropped the car off on Tuesday and as of Thursday; they still never touched the car. The lack of service I received from this dealership was astounding and I will never deal with them again. But back to my car's O2 sensor issue...I found a few other message boards with other Altima owners having the same issue. There were many postings indicating that the ECU may need to be reset. I tried to remove the negative wire from the battery terminal and that had no affect. One other posting mentioned a small screw next to the accelerator that you would have to screw in completely clockwise then counterclockwise...blah blah blah...

Never the less, there was no screw so I am short on solutions. I know I have replied to this late, but if you know of any other way to reset the ECU, I am willing to give it a shot.

Jas> I hope you didn't fry the ECM by connecting the wires incorrectly. >

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@45g2000cws.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jay

An OBDII reader should be able to reset the computer. AutoZone should be able to do it for you if you don't have one. Remember when you disconnect the neg. battery cable you need to leave it disconnected for 5-10 minutes. That has aways worked for me.

Reply to
Larry Colombo

I had the neg connection disconnected for over 20 minutes. I went to Auto Zone to have the check engine light turned off many times and it keeps coming back. They have provided the error codes and after researching the cause online, I have yet to come up with a solution. Unfortunately I no longer have the codes.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

quoted text -

Reply to
Jay