1998 Pathfinder Shift indicator on dash?

Hi, I bought my Pathfinder used about 2 years ago & don't drive it a ton. Recently I noticed that nowhere on the dash does it display whether I'm shifting to Park, Neutral, Reverse, etc. I honestly don't remember if this ever used to show up on the dash, so I checked my manual, & the picture of the dashboard indicators doesn't show this either. There is an oblong shaped space where I could imagine this

*could* be displayed on the dash, but it seems unlikely. Can someone please confirm whether or not this info. should display on the dash?

Thanks

Reply to
pacous