1998 sentra SE overheating???

Yesterday on the way home from work (75 mile one way), the outside temp was 93 - 95 degrees F. With the AC on, when I'd stop the car at a light and then start up again, the temp gage, which usually indicates slightly below half, rapidly increased to about 3/4 scale or so (still in the normal range). It would not come down unless I was going downhill or level, and then it would slowly return to slightly above half way. If I turned the AC off, it would eventually return to normal and stay there.

Is this normal? Today checked the coolant level in both overflow and radiator and both were OK. Coolant did not appear contaminated. I have had the coolant changed, cooling system flushed, at intervals recommended by Nissan, including last winter. I carpool with 3 other people, and was worried that temp would keep increasing, so I turned the AC off and opened the windows when it did this. This was embarrassing.

My mechanic said this might be normal, but if I brought it down (which I will next week, they will check it out and they said if there was a problem, they would find it.

Anyone else have this problem? Experienced temp rise last summer, but wasn't as hot, or as high.

130,000 miles. Runs fine. Or is it time for a new car?

Comments? Suggestions?--

Jim

Reply to
Jim Madsen

JimV

...or a water pump.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Sounds like maybe the cooling fan isn't running enough seeing the temp goes down when you get airflow through the radiator via the vehicle being in motion. On a hot day with A/C on and standing still, you need every ounce of cooling system you can squeeze out of it. It doesn't take much of a loss in cooling capacity to make the temp rise when it's hot out. Also the radiator could have sediment lining the tubes. Kind of like heart disease and arterial sclerosis. The coolant doesn't flow as much as it used to. However, if in the past years the temp didn't rise past the halfway mark, it is not normal for it to do so now.

Reply to
Mind Melt