2.4L Squeal on Startup --- Belts or Pulleys/Waterpump?

Got a 2.4L Nissan Frontier that squeals like a pig on startup. Turning off the air conditioner helps sometimes, sometimes not. I've heard it's belts, A/C clutch, pulleys, or even the water pump. Is there any consensus out there?

Thanks,

Lee

Reply to
T.L. Davis

I also have a 2.4L Nissan pickup ('97). Sounds like a belt to me. How old are yours?

Reply to
Truckdude

T.L. Davis quipped:

It's pretty simple to determine if it's the belt. Just take a spray bottle and spray the belt with water and see if the squeal goes away. If it does, it's the belt. If it doesn't, then it's most likely a pulley or the water pump. The reason the squeal sometimes goes away when you turn off the a/c is probably because it's putting less tension on the serpentine belt. It certainly sounds to me like a bad belt.

Reply to
amstaffs