2000 G20(same as Sentra) starting problems

I?ve got a 2000 Infiniti G20 same engine as a Sentra, just the other day i tried to start the car and it turns over and fires up but immediately just goes dead after, I can push down on the accelerator after starting to rev up the rpm but soon as i let go the engine just goes dead again, not sure if i?m damaging the vehicle more when i do that cause a thin cloud of smoke comes from the engine when i rev it up. i?ve had issues with my thermostat in the past, but dont know if that would be a reason for this issue. I?ve got 150k on the car, and no major accidents in the past. If anyone can help it would be enormously appreciated.

Reply to
dav805

Does the check engine light come on while it's running? It sounds like the idle air control valve motor is not opening to keep the engine running at idle, which would probably throw a code... I don't know where to find said part on that motor unfortunately, but maybe the electrical connector is loose, corroded, or fell off?

Reply to
JM

Sentra came with 2 engines. The G20 has the same motor as the Sentra

2.0s.

CD

Reply to
codifus

You might also have a vacuum leak somewhere, take a peek under the hood for split rubber hoses, and make sure everything is fitted tightly.. especially the intake duct, any leaks behind the mass air flow sensor will cause problems.

Reply to
JM