2000 Maxima oil filter location?

I am retired now and want to do my own car maintenance. I don't see the oil filter from the top looking down. Where is the oil filter? Do I need any special tool to get it off? Size tool?

Reply to
Randy

Randy,

No offense meant, but if you know so little about the basics of automobile preventive maintenance you should delay doing your own until you take a class or two on the subject. I say this because you ask if any special tool is required to remove the oil filter.

If classes are unavailable in your area there are probably a few million books written on the subject. You know, "Maintenance for Dummies", etc.

I recommend you not, repeat, not, take any advice relative to doing the required work from the many brilliant subscribers to usenet.

Good luck.

Reply to
Butch Davis

Just because he doesn't see the oil filter? A little harsh, dude.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

You can see the oil filter while you are lying down under the car, under the right front wheel, going up past the oil pan. No special tool needed, just the right size oil filter wrench. Don't know it offhand. Just by the replacement oil filter, goto auto-zone, pepboys etc and buy the right size tool that fits the replacement.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

He already has the correct tool: his hand. Oil filters are definately something you don't want to overtighten. Thread it in till the rubber gasket makes contact, then give it another 1/2 turn or so. An oil filter wrench should only be used in getting an overtightened filter off of a vehicle.

This is why it is really a bad idea to take advice from shadetree mechanics on usenet. There is a LOT of misinformation out there and many people willing to give it.

Reply to
GMen

Thanks for all the positive responses. I found it and the oil has been changed no problem.

Reply to
Randy

So should he ignore your advice as well?

Regards,

Ed White

C. E. White

My Nissan filter (and the workshop manual) actually indicate that you should use a wrench when installing the filter and provide a torque value. To be honest, I don't use a torque wrench. I usually go 3/4 turn past the filter gasket solidly contacting the base. I've never had a filter leak yet.

So true.

Regards,

Ed White

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Here are the actual instructions off my Genuine Nissan Oil Filter (P/N

15208-9E00)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

(1) Apply coat of engine oil to packing. Turn oil filter in until packing touches engine. Then, tighten it with more than two-thirds turn. (Tightening torque: 1.5 ~ 2.1 kg-m)

.... [rest of instructions deal with refilling the sump and checking for leaks]

Ed White

Ed White