2000 Maxima with cold start erratic idle????

I have a 2000 Maxima with a problem with erratic idle and cut off when cold. When you crank it up in the morning it starts to idle at about

1300 rpm then drops idle and cuts off. If I try to press the gas pedal and rev the engine it may or may not cut off. Once I get it going it cranks fine the rest of the day even if it sets up until 5 pm or later. No problems unless it sets up over night. I took it to the dealer and they replaced a sensor at the back of the car, but it did not fix it. No codes. Had other mechanics look at it. One replaced the fuel filter. Still did not fix it.

I was looking this morning at the engine and found what looks like a vacuum hose next to the measuring stick for the transmission that was not connected to anything (right behind the air intake from the grill). It comes up along the measuring stick and has a thicker tube that comes up and then down. I can not see where it should be connected to anything. Could someone tell me what this is and if it should be connected to something? I wonder if this is my problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Randy

I think you found the purge vent. It's not supposed be connected. Has your check engine light come on? Might be the temp sensor. You should have the codes checked.

Reply to
JimV

No codes. It was put on the computer and it showed nothing was wrong.

Reply to
Randy

What you found seems to be the transmission breather tube.

PCV valve stick> No codes. It was put on the computer and it showed nothing was wrong. >

Reply to
AS

I also have a 2000 Nissan Maxima and it does the same thing when it is cold outside idk what it is never went and had it checked out so if you find out something would you please tell me

"Randy" wrote: > I have a 2000 Maxima with a problem with erratic idle and cut > off when > cold. When you crank it up in the morning it starts to idle > at about > 1300 rpm then drops idle and cuts off. If I try to press the > gas pedal > and rev the engine it may or may not cut off. Once I get it > going it > cranks fine the rest of the day even if it sets up until 5 pm > or later. > No problems unless it sets up over night. I took it to the > dealer and > they replaced a sensor at the back of the car, but it did not > fix it. > No codes. Had other mechanics look at it. One replaced the > fuel > filter. Still did not fix it. > > I was looking this morning at the engine and found what looks > like a > vacuum hose next to the measuring stick for the transmission > that was > not connected to anything (right behind the air intake from > the grill). > It comes up along the measuring stick and has a thicker tube > that > comes up and then down. I can not see where it should be > connected to > anything. Could someone tell me what this is and if it should > be > connected to something? I wonder if this is my problem? > > Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
WeSt