2000 Sentra no start problem

I have a 2000 Sentra that has a recent starting problem. If the car has been sitting for an hour or more, I can start the car and it would run just fine and idle smoothly. I can use it or let it idle for about 15 minutes then it would stumble (RPM jumps up/down) and dies. No spark at the plugs (using spark checker). It will start again if I let it sit for another half an hour. Distr. cap, rotor, and spark plugs are new Nissan parts. I can hear the fuel pump running at starteup. Cranks normally. Any Nissan experts care to help? Is it the distributor assembly? No OBD-II code stored. TIA for your help.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Is there any Nissan expert here that have seen this problem? Note that problem is repeatable. The internet mentioned something about a seal beaing bad inside the distributor, causing an optical sensor that sense rotation to be covered with oil, thus the miss and eventual stop. when it drains back the sensor works again, thus the engine will start normally until the oil comes back.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Unless you have the 2 liter SE, you don't have a conventional distributor.

What does no start mean? Crank/no crank? Spark/no spark?

Are there any codes on the computer?

Reply to
Gary

Conventional? This distributor was 4 sparkplug wires coming out of the cap ( no center wire that normally comes from a coil). I think it has a built in coil into each of the 4 longish sparkplug plugs. If you read my first post, I have no problem cranking, it just won't fire when the symptom happened. My OBD-II reader says no code stored (yes I own and know how to use it). Once rested for a while, the engine will fire right up.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Answering my own question, this weekend I took the distributor off the car (after marking the timing alignment), and took the plastic covering under the distributor cap. I found a small disk with circular slots covered with a thick film of oil. and also a small amount of oil pooled inside distributor housing. Clean all that up using a carburetor cleaner spray and all is well again. I think that the proper fix would be to replace the seal (o-ring?) on the distributor shaft which I suspect is worned out and thus allow small seepage of engine oil into this Hall effect sensor (senses rotational of the distributor, hence the camshaft and thus the engine). I didn't have the correct size seal handy, so cleaning it up should get me going for a while until I get a chance to replace the seal later.

Reply to
cmdrdata