2000 Sentra Starting Problem

I have a 2000 Sentra SE / Manual Trans. Sometimes it will not start (the engine just turns over but never fires). After this happens, I can turn the ignition switch off and wait about 30 seconds. There will be a click from behind the dash area. After I hear the click, the engine cranks up normally.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Panther

I have the same car and have had the same problem twice since I bought it new. Each time the car would crank strangely for lack of a better term. The first time I stopped trying and waited a few hours. I fired right up. The second time, which was just few weeks ago, I decided to kep on crankin! After about 1 minute the engine started to catch and it stumbled to life. This greyish puff of smoke floated out of the muffler as the engine slowly started to act normal. Idle was rough for a minute or so. Car ran fine after I started driving.

Each time the outside temp was in the 30s-40s and the car had sat overnight. I've heard that the SR-20 is a 'wet foul' motor which apparently means that if conditions are humid than the engine can have starting issues. I dunno. I always turn the key and wait for the fuel pump prime/buzz to stop before cranking. Maybe it's a crank position sensor issue. The new 1.8s & 2.5s have had problems with them. WHo knows at this point?

I'm just glad it's only happened twice. And besides that this car has been practically flawless and a joy to drive & own. Long live the SR-20!!!

Reply to
McGarrett