2001 Frontier Crew Brake Rotors

Just rolled 94000 on my 2001 Frontier Crew SE. I had replaced the front pads at about 65000, but they need it again. This time, however, the front right inside pad expired and grooved the rotor. I imagine they will need to be replaced as well. My question is actually about the removal. Never had the rotors off before, and I dont' have a service manual. Do I need to remove the auto-locking hub to get the rotor off? I would appear that way, but I wanted a more educated opinion. I mean, I could go exploring by removing bolts until it comes free, but a little advice would be greatly appreciated. I am guessing that under the autolocking hub is a larger axel nut, which requires removal to slide the whole hub assy off the axle end. Could someone please give me a heads up on this.

Thanks again, this group has proven itself priceless.

Joel

Reply to
Bratcop

You can download the manual for free from

At least as of this minute (they rotate what you can get).

Reply to
JimV

Thanks for the heads up. I am still downloading the factory service manual as we speak. If it is as promised, I will be donating to carfiche.com via paypal.

Joel

Reply to
Bratcop

depending on how deep the grooving is on the rotor chances are it won't need to be replaced only resurfaced

If the rotor were to need replacing the auto locking hub would need to be taken apart , the bearings and seal removed and the bolts that secure the rotor to the hub removed

Reply to
NissTech

I have done many a brake job in my day, usually cars, however. I think the rotor needs replacement based on the grooves. Since I am doing it in my garage, I will need to remove the rotor either way. No way to turn it while it is mounted. New ones are like $38, and I think resurfacing is like $25. I figure it is better to replace than turn, especially when the cost is so similiar.

Thanks for the link and the advice. I appreciate it.

Joel

Reply to
Bratcop