2001 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4 EGR excessive flow

I only have 54,000 miles and the service engine light is on. Autozone said excessive flow on egr valve. I have looked online and the web has said the passages need cleaned, common problem among 4 cyl. I called the dealer, they said between 300-600 dollars. Is this correct or crazy? How hard is this job to do yourself? Thanks in advance, DON

Reply to
Don

May need remove egr assembly from intake manifold and clean out cavity/valve with carb cleaner, sounds like carbon build up on valve preventing a good seal. Clean all associated tubes to egr, they maybe partialy clogged. You might be able to spray carb cleaner into egr valve area and breakup the carbon buildup with removal of valve. Pickup a factory service manual, that will have picture and details of how the egr system works.

Reply to
jjjsan

Reply to
Don Kerens