2001 Sentra gxe ~ Service Engine Soon light

Hi All

I'm having a few problems with my newly purchased used vehicle, and am wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me out.

My major concern is that my "service engine soon" light came on a few weeks ago. The car is not under warranty so I took it to a mechanic that could easily have ripped me of claiming to repair this or that but was honest enough to say he found nothing wrong with the car. He reset the fuse and off I went. We the light is back on again !!!

I would like to reset the fuse again myself but have no idea where it is. I'm also wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

The other question I have is Nissan has some recalls posted, the one that describes my problem seems to be a recall posted in Nov 2003, do the recalls expire ?

I'm more than willing to get my hands dirty and fix things myself but need some help and guidance. Money is tight right now due to the purchase of the car and I had no idea I would have problems this early on.

Any help, advise, hints ... anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Divlja

My 2001 Sentra GXE also had that problem less than 10,000Km after the warranty. I had heard of the recalls you mentioned, but Nissan said I had no outstanding recalls for my car. Nissan replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the problem went away; a $600.00 job. 2 months later, the warning came on again but this time it was just the gas tank cover being loose. So, the Mass Air Flow sensor seemed to have been the problem in my case.

Cheers

ibm

Mississauga, Ontario

Reply to
ibm

It would be impossible for anyone here to tell you exactly where to look without any codes or symptoms. There are just too many permutations of problems that could throw an error code and cause the light to go on.

If you are in the US, you could go to autozone. They'll do a free scan for you and can reset the code/light as well. Take note of the code(s) and report back here.

Reply to
Remco

Thank you for your reply's I have posted the codes on a new post dated

2/14/05
Reply to
Divlja