2002 Nissan Pathfinder-SE 6 cd changer (BOSE) & Upgrade to XM ?

Hey all,

2 questions

1) anyone have an '02 pathfinder with the premium bose 6 cd changer package .. which has problems with cd's not playing, or constantly skipping?

2) Is it possible to upgrade the bose package to an aftermarket stereo such as alpine or clarion without much "hassle" ?

I'm thinking of upgrading my stock bose to something alpine that is XM compatible .. just wanted to know if anyone out there has the experience of doing this, or knows someone who has..before I start this process?

Thanks for all your help!

-Angel

Reply to
radnj

I have a 2001 Pathfinder and am on my 4th CD player. I think I finally got a good one that works all the time. The previous ones would skip horribly in cold weather, not allow CD insertion, give intermittent error codes etc, etc.

The are all made by Clarion and I have spoken with their quality assurance manager in order to get a pre-tested CD player (#4) sent to my dealer for replacement. Best bet is if it's still under warranty to go to the dealer and let them order a replacement. It's only a 20 minute change out.

If you order a replacement, be sure that it's a quality product and made for a boze system.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Richard L

I have an 03 Murano, if it's like mine it should be an add on XM modual. Buying it from the dealer will be insessantly expensive though.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]
20 mins.. not here.. The last replacement took 2 hours :) My nissan dealer is very busy all the time.. weekends, weekdays, evenings... I dont think I should have to go through all that hassle just to replace the faulty unit.. I'm leaning more and more to just getting it replaced, period .. My Radio is not XM compatible (I checked) .. the 2003-4 models are the ones that are "XM compatible" ..and yes, very very expensive to do so via the dealer (figures) :)

anyone out there that has actually replaced their stock bose with something else? .. I'm more worried about the ease (or hassle) of replacing the unit with an aftermarket model ..

more feedback/comments?

-Angel

Reply to
radnj

Shouldn't be all that difficult though you should consider getting a few adapters along with the aftermarket deck you choose to make the install easier and trouble free. You will need a Nissan Diversity antenna adapter, wiring harness adapter and probably a Bose system converter.

Metra www.metra>20 mins.. not here.. The last replacement took 2 hours :) My nissan

Stephen Narayan | IASCA Pro Street 1-600 | IASCA Certified Judge 2003 Audio Perfection | snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca No System.....yup that's right. Why not check out my car audio museum :)

Stephen Narayan

I have a 2001 pathfinder with the 6 disc changer.

After hearing everybody tell me I can't upgrade the bose system I researched all of the alternatives and came up with a way to keep part of the stock system in place while upgrading the most important part of the sound system..the amp and speakers. Here's the deal-

The bose speakers run 1ohm wattages, meaning that you can't replace just the speakers and use the head unit the regular way or you will destroy the speakers, the headunit, or both...

You can't replace just the headunit, because the the amp isn't strong enough to power 4ohm speakers, plus you will probably blow the headunit's weak amp...

What I did, is to put an in line converter box made by tunetown.com . I happened to find out this nifty device by someone who installs stereos. For about $100 they make a kit that just snaps into the harness behind the factory headunit and gives you control over the line signal to go to an aftermarket amp while keeping the multi player cd and those excellent steering wheel controls if you have them. Now, my vehicle has a much tighter, dynamic and clearer sound thanks to the infinity reference speakers and ADS amp that I installed myself. Should I decide to change back the speakers (never going to happen...) I could take out the converter and return the unit to stock very easily. As for your xm addition, you might want to replace the headunit with another compatible headunit that has that option, but the ultimate would be something that has rca line inputs for an MP3 player so that I can take my entire music collection with me and have it in my car!

Hope that answers your questions, feel free to email me with questions!

rt

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net at snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote on 11/24/03 6:13 PM:

Reply to
Roland Thai