2002 Primera Clutch replacement at 20,000 miles

Hi I have a 1.6 Primera, bought new in 2002. The clutch had to be replaced at 20,000 miles, which was in August 2004. I was angry at the time, because this is my sixth car, and I never had a clutch go on me before. Any previous job required a lot more driving, so I considered this car barely used! The clutch isn't covered by warranty, so I had to pay for a new one. Anyway, this morning I was stopped at traffic lights. A friends father was passing by, walking his dog. I hadn't seen him in years, but I know he is a taxi driver. I said hello, he said he had the same primera. Then the lights went green. Just as I was pulling off, he said to me, "Watch out for the clutch" This has freaked me out. Taxi drivers usually know lots about cars, so obviously my clutch isn't the first to go! Has anyone else heard of similiar problems? Thanks SimonD

Reply to
SimonD

I rang the guy, turns out his clutch went at 21,000 and 50,000 miles. This is his 20th Nissan car, and the first one to ever give him trouble. I've googled but not found any matches for problem clutches. But still, can't just be coincidence!

Reply to
SimonD

I have a 92 1.6 Primera and replaced the clutch at 90000 miles, the previous owner had everthing done at a main dealer and I have all the recipts and there is not one for a clutch so I'm asuming that the one I replaced was the original. Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

My 2.0 GT primera needed clutch at 61,000 (wasn't surprised as had done a lot of town driving!) Had mine replaced with aftermarket model from Mr Clutch approx £ 160 inc labour & vat, adjusted twice since then - still going strong at 81k

cheers

Reply to
IFD

My '94 2.0 Primera clutch was still original and good at 158,000m and my '97 is still fine at 52,000m. At least it's not a Mondeo, a clutch on that costs £600.

Reply to
SteveB

Simon, you should have bought an old one!

I sold my 1.6 '95 with the original clutch still in it and 115,000m. The bite point was getting a bit high though...

Andy

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Andy Champ