2002 Sentra broken oil dip stick

A 2002 Sentra has a broken oil dip stick which is stuck about 3 inches down the tube.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can pull out the remaining stick from the tube ??

Thanks !!!

Reply to
Guido

Drop the oil pan and pull the dip stick out. Kind of a pain, but that's probably the only way. You can procure a new dip stick from a dealer or a auto part store can order a new one.

Reply to
juanalong

"juanalong" quipped:

or, buy a magnetic pick up tool..most auto supply shops have them. Kind of looks like a car antenna with a magnet at the end. Stick it down the tube and latch onto the stick and pull it out. They're around $5-$10.

They're used to retrieve dropped screws/bolts when they fall into crevices in the engine compartment. Can be an invaluable tool either way.

If that doesn't work, and depending on how deep the stick is, (you said 3"), you might be able to just pull it out with a pair of hemostats.

Here's a place that sells/shows what I'm referring to:

amstaffs

Thank you all for the ideas.

I'll post the outcome.

Reply to
Guido

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

I suspect the last "quick lube" monkeys broke it at the loop end, where a finger is inserted, by flexing it when pulling it out.

The loop end is plastic and proabably got brittle from the engine heat.

Next they probably tried to fish out what was stuck in the tube and pushed it further down.

Then they simply placed the loop back on the top of the tube like nothing happened.

What is visible is the remaining plastic which fills the inner diameter of the tube, behind which is the flat metal "stick".

I got the tube to turn but I don't think it's threaded. It keeps "grunting" as I turn it but I don't see it advancing upwards.

Anyone know for sure whether the tube holding the dip stick is threaded ???

Reply to
Guido