2003 Altima 2.5L - liquid flowing sound when accelerating

Whenever I give the car gas (either in neutral or when accelerating), I hear a sound coming from the front, passenger side of the car that almost sounds like liquid flowing from one place to another. I took my car in to my mechanic last week and he said that my A/C line needed to be flushed. Afterwords, I didn't notice the noise for a day or so but then it started up again. Now it is worse and I am concerned. Any idea what this could be?

Reply to
niles

I think it could be your A/C in need of refrigerant, not a flushing.

If the mechanic did a good honest job, you shouldn't have lost the refrigerant to soon, meaning there is a leak.

I cannot but remember, a friend's mechanic who had suggested replacing the evaporator in my friend's Volvo ($1200), for the same reason, and to justify his suggestion, the mechanic left the charging port open so the refrigerant would leak.

Good luck!

niles wrote:

Reply to
AS

I agree - it's likely your AC is refrigerant is low. If the mechanic flushed/filled it and the sound is back, 1. either you have a leak (likely) or 2. the wrong quantity of refrigerant was used.

Does the sound occur if the AC is kept off while driving?

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I had a similar problem when the car was less than six months old. The problem was the radiator. There was evidence all along the top of the rad of staining where the fluid in the rad was leaking under pressure and evaporating over time. When the coolent level dropped to a point in the rad the water sloshing sound would be heard just as you describe it. There was never a liquid stain on the ground. Look for evidence of leaking all along the top edge of the rad. They replaced my rad and the problem was fixed.

Reply to
abbyguy

i took it back to my mechanic yesterday. i mentioned what you said and he said he would take a look. he called me back later and said that he would have to pull the evaporator coil and would possibly have to recharge the A/C. i have no idea what this stuff means but i wanted to see what you guys thought about this...

thanks....

abbyguy wrote:

Reply to
niles

Reply to
niles

DO NOT pull the evaporator !!

It is not a refrigerant problem.

It's a low coolant/antifreeze problem.

We see this all the time, have you local shop try and rid the cooling system of it's air bubble.

Reply to
NissTech

I almost guarantee you the problem is with your coolant level. Unlike all the other responses I've read to your post... this has NOTHING whatsoever to do with your A/C.

Check your coolant level overflow tank. ADD SOME ANTIFREEZE even if it deson't seem low. I would also consider a new radiator cap as it may be loosing pressure and taking on air when cooling, which is then circulating through your lines and making the noise you hear.

I would even guess that you've recently used your heater for the first time in a few months, and this has introduced air into the lines which results in the noise you're hearing.

If these steps don't solve the problem, have your radiator flushed and changed.

Willy

Reply to
Willy