2003 Altima Rear Wheel Seal

I took my car in for service; oil and filter only. I was told the right rear wheel seal was leaking. I don't think there is a rear wheel seal. There is no rear axle on the vehicle. I can understand having a rear wheel seal when there is a rear end differential. Is this report of a leaking rear wheel seal bogus?

Reply to
abbyguy

abbyguy wrote the following:

Don't know anything about a 2003 Altima, but every moving part of the drive system has some type of lubricant, especially wheels and axles. Even though an axle does not extend from wheel to wheel, here is an axle within the individual wheel. Get an independent opinion.

Reply to
willshak

There'll be a stub axle with an inner and outer bearing, each packed with grease. And an inner grease seal.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

willshak wrote in news:WcKdnRrzXtuP0k7WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

the rear wheel-HUBS have sealed bearings in them,and they DO leak and then the bearings wear out.It happened on my 2003 Sentra.

Your Altima's wheel hub is probably a "replace the entire hub assembly" type like mine was,no pressing in new bearings and/or repacking the bearings.

Of course,it's more expensive that way.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

wrong ....

Jim Yanik has the correct answer..

Thanks for playing John, better luck next time

Reply to
NissTech