2004 pathfinder vs 2005 pathfinder?

Hey folks,

I sold my old pathfinder (the one with the 170hp 3.3 engine) because it was just too slow and got a car instead. But I now regret getting rid of a truck because now I notice that the roads here suck, and this country (Chile) is full of dirt trails which I now miss.

I hear the new pathfinders will be here around march, which gives me time to sell my car. Around that time the old pathfinders should be on clearance at good prices.

I loved the old pathfinder because it combined reasonable car-like dyamics with off-road ability. The new ones seem more truck-based, and if they ride like 4Runners, I probably won't enjoy it as much.

My concerns about the new pathfinder are the following:

  1. Bigger engine and heavier body means (a lot) worse fuel economy. I really don't need the extra space (I am single).
  2. More truck-like handling. (The unit-body pathfinder was just right for me).
  3. First product from new usa factory. Expect first-time issues.

About the only thing I can see in the new model is the 5-speed auto tranny. Might give better hwy fuel economy.

Anybody have any ideas?

-Indirecto

Reply to
Indirecto

Hi, This afternoon at an off-road park in Kitsap County Washington they were doing secret test driving of the 2005 pathfinders. Was supposed to be a "secret" test with the press so they could test all the new off-road capabilities and options. From what I seen they were quite agile and capable on the step grades and hills. Was a really good test for them because it was a real off-road park and not an "easy" setting. They let the reporters trash them as much as they want expecting the running boards etc to be torn up. After the day of testing they were going to take the new rides back to the shop and fix all damage to continue reviews. The few things we seen that may or may not be new to path finder was the braking assist on hills. They said when you stop on a hill going up and let off the brake, it holds you there for 5 seconds before the brake releases. Giving you time to get your foot on the accelerator etc. Not new technology (used to use this on Studebakers) but handy. Supposedly they had locking differentials as well. Was an interesting surprise finding this all going on in the middle of no where, which I suppose that is what they wanted. We seen at least 9 and there was probably more around the area. Later Tqm

Reply to
Tqm