2004 Quest -- poor gas mileage

I've had a 2004 Nissan Quest for 6 months now. Overall, I am very pleased with it --especially the handling and performance, which is great for a minivan.

Unfortunately, at 3800+ miles I still get crummy gas mileage! It's supposed to be 19/26, and I'm lucky if I get more than 16/20. I've heard the theory of new car break-in period and how mpg will go up. Is this true? How long does this take? How should I be driving during the so-called break-in period?

-SV snipped-for-privacy@ihpc.net

Reply to
Steve V

I've had a 2004 Nissan Quest for 6 months now. Overall, I am very pleased with it --especially the handling and performance, which is great for a minivan.

Unfortunately, at 3800+ miles I still get crummy gas mileage! It's supposed to be 19/26, and I'm lucky if I get more than 16/20. I've heard the theory of new car break-in period and how mpg will go up. Is this true? How long does this take? How should I be driving during the so-called break-in period?

-SV snipped-for-privacy@ihpc.net

Reply to
Steve V

no need to double post, we all saw the first one.

16 - 20 is about all your going to get.

Read the info on the sticker carefully, it says "your actual mileage may(needs to say "will") vary.

Reply to
NissTech

If that's all I'm going to get then "mileage may vary" is a load of crap. I'm not driving over hills, rough roads, extreme weather, underinflated tires etc, so if I drive it like an old lady I had better get closer to the advertised mileage.

Reply to
Steve V

Sounds about right for a MV you feel has good performance. My guess is you're using it and -that- uses gas! :-) I bet if you baby around in it, stay the speed limit on the interstate etc you'll get the rated mileage or closer to it.

Reply to
Steve T

Or what? :-)

It's a known fact these mileage numbers are ussually on the high side, most people never get what the stickers claim they will. Many SUV's have close to 20MPG stickers yet most people get closer to 12-14. Try driving it "like a little old lady" and I bet it won't be as bad. Remember they aren't going to test it by driving 15MPH over the speed limit, trying to out run other cars from a light etc.

Reply to
Steve T

My wife drives it most of the time, but I suppose it would help if I quit hot dogging it. I must remind myself that I'm a family man in a minivan... we'll see how long that lasts :-)

-SV

Reply to
Steve V

If you want to get the advertised mileage, you'll have to run it statically on a dynamometer, like the EPA testing does to get those figures. You'll also have to have the same model and with, or without, the optional equipment as the one they tested.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg