2005 Sentra rear break noise

The drums in the rear of my sentra are grabbing and letting go and making a thud thud thud noise ( I think it's the brakes anyway given that it happens with the breaks on and at low speed from about 10 to 0 mph). At around 10 mph it thumps - quickly and the thumps are spaced out longer as the car slows. I'm going to take it in but was wondering if you folks had any ideas?

Djay

Reply to
djay

Rusty rotors will do that. Did it sit for a while in a moist climate?

Reply to
JimV

Not that I'm aware of... I live on the arid Central Coast of California where we get about 10 inches of rain per year. It's kept in a garage - but can't rule out the manufacturing location...

Reply to
djay

I have an 2005 Sentra that did the same thing. After a while it seems like it stop doing it. I don't know if it is the brake shoes that are momentary grabbing or what?

Striker

Reply to
Striker

I haven't a clue. It's under warranty and I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it looked at. I'll post the cause/fix.

Djay

Reply to
djay

Okay,

The wife took the car in this morning and they "cleaned the drums and adjusted them" Charged her 40 bucks. Car is 13 months old - shouldn't this be covered in the bumper to bumper warranty? It's fixed but sheesh!

Djay

Reply to
djay

I can't IMAGINE that a dealer would charge you for this if the car is under warranty. How many miles are on the car?

Admittedly at some point, breaks "normal wear and tear" will outdate the warranty, but I had a similar problem (shimmy) on a new Chevy, and they turned the rotors for free.

On the other hand, I didn't even need brakes on my Murano until 105K, and didn't even have to turn the rotors then!!!!

Willy

Reply to
Willy

could be a warped rear break drum, happens when it cools too fast, ie when you hit a puddle of water. only way to fix is get it machined, or live with it....

Reply to
Zoneman

Your Nissan warranty is 3 years / 36,000 bumper to bumper and 5 /60,000 powertrain. If you are within those specs I would say that you are under manufacturers warranty. Question for you though .................... did your wife take it to a Nissan dealership? If she didn't, you are out of luck but if she did I think I would be giving the service manager a call and ask for an explanation of the charges and ask why Nissan didn't cover this. Remember ...... you catch more fly's with honey than you do vinegar. If you are still unhappy about the results call 1-800-NISSAN1. Hope this helps.

Robin

Reply to
NissanSalesRep