2007 XTERRA intermittent starting problems with ignition keys

Is this a common problem...anyone come up with a fix (Nissan service couldn't help me)? I carry two keys now. Probably once per day I get in to start the car and "nothing", engine doesn't turn over or anything...dash activities/lights do come on though. At this point the key won't start the key (remove, reinsert, ...). I've had good luck putting the 2nd key in when in this state and then it generally has started (engine turns over).

Any info or trouble shooting you've done would be helpful to solve this problem.

Reply to
jjones601

Funny for those of you who like to experiment. I took the so called "glove box only" key and just started the car which I was instructed during the purchace wouldn't be able to do that :-) I'll drive some with that key and see if it's more reliable. I haven't busted open the black housing of one of the so called official ignition keys to see the impressive technolodgy under the hood but my guess is that it isn't very impressive or reliable in the "system".

Reply to
jjones601

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:70e80af8-7ac9-4e54-bbad- snipped-for-privacy@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Sounds like a WARRANTY problem.I would not go "busting open" any of the keys,unless you want to get charged $100s for new keys. The problem may not even be in the keys,but in the scanner/reader in the dash.

there are RFID chips in the keys,and the scanner interrogates the chip,then passes the code number to the ECM to compare to the stored programmed code.Only with a match does the car start.

I've heard of cellphone towers interfering with the scanning;the cellphone tower RF field may confuse the scanner or mask the key's return signal. Maybe that's why the dealer is no help.They would need to have the car in an area where a CP tower signal interferes before they "see the problem".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks for response and info...I'm thinking. By the way when I went to pick up the car at the dealer...I tried to start the car 3 times and no luck...I then grabbed the service guy thinking hurray it's repeating but when we got back to the car it started several times in a row and wouldn't repeat :-(. Typical for those of you that trouble challenging problems for a living. I'm hopeful, there's work to be done yet.

Reply to
jjones601