240sx front end shimmy and rattle

I have a 95 nissan 240sx. So far i replaced the tension rods(solid bushings), Inner and Outer tie rods(spherical bearings), and Coilovers. I am still getting a funky sound when i hit certain bumps on the road. The construction roads where the black top is gutted and its all rocky, is when I hear it constantly. It sounds like the bump vibrates up. I made sure I replaced is tight. My question is if my sway bar bushings are shot. Would it cause this sound. I am also experiencing my steering wheel shaking at 65-70 mph. Could my sway bar also cause this? The tires were balanced and the car aligned but the problem was still there. If someone can get back to me it would be great. I have no idea whats wrong.

Reply to
aznrib

Sounds like the struts are shot. Do the bounce test and see if pogo time. Sparky

Reply to
Steve Parker

it cant be the strut because they're all new. I replaced the original struts with Megan Racing Coilovers. The problem started happening before and after I replaced the part

Reply to
Eddy

Have you checked the ball joints and wheel bearings? my 92 SE-R steering shook at the same speed as yours and it turned out to be a front wheel bearing going bad. Plus you have replaced most of the other parts it could be.

Reply to
LouieG

I thought the wheel bearings would sound like a drone like sound on the highway, almost sounds like a truck next to you? I also shook my wheel at 12 and 6 and 3 and 9 and theres no play. The only ball joint I have replaced is that Front Lower Control arm. Just by looking at the ball joint, its not ripped or leaking. I dont know how else to test it.

Reply to
Eddy

What kind of balance did you did? The one that measures road force? It is the only one that tells the truth.

Make sure that the front end alignment is withing the manufacturer's specs. I guess some toe-in is required. Are the camber and caster within specs?

Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

When I went to Good Year to do my alignment, they said they couldn't do it because since my car is modified, they cannot use the factory specs to align the car. The coilovers was mainly the issue because they said they didn't know what numbers to put in to align the car. So i ended up going to a shop that did alignment for muscle cars and a few of my 240 friends went there and they said it was good. The only thing is they dont give a alignment sheet when its done. I dont think I'll be going back there again because my friend said one of his wheels is cambered in more then the other. He also vibrates alot. It is a possiblility that the alignment shop did a crappy job. But I am still getting that weird noise when i hit bumps...... sounds like the wheel is hollow or like when metal hits metal but when a rubber material is in between.

Reply to
Eddy

An easy wey to know if your vibration comes from defective suspension components:

Grab each one of the tires from the top. Rock it in and out fast and strong enough to rock the car. You will feel the play in your hands and hear the knocking if there is play.

Grab each tire from the left and right sides as if to cause them to turn.

Vibration from alignment is mostly seen in cars with less than optimal suspension components in particular when the toe is left at 0 degrees and this is why a lil toe-in can be convenient.

Vibration from wheels and tires is harder to find than one might think. It can be caused by a defective wheel, a defective tire, an out of balance assembly, an improperly mounted tire, a combination of all. That is why, to my knowledge, the Hunter machine is the only one capable of finding the real cause of the problem.

Good luck.

Eddy wrote:

Reply to
AS