'82 280ZX Cold Start Valve

Hi All!

I recently acquired an ?82 280ZX 2+2. The engine has only 72k original miles on it. The car had been running great but now when I initially go to start it I must crank it for about 10 seconds until it ?gradually? starts up. At that point I normally just give the gas pedal a little goose and she is fine and goes into a nice idle. After this initial start the car is fine for the rest of the day and will fire right up as soon as you turn the key. Before I started having this problem the car would always fire up right away and go into a high idle until she warmed up.

I?m not very familiar with these engines yet but does this sound like a problem with the cold start valve and, if so, how I can find and test this component? Are these valves expensive and / or difficult to replace? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
-

The fuel pump check valve is bad or the injectors/presure regulator is leaking. Another way to "fix" it is to bypass the fuel pump relay so the pump turns on with the key. Then just turn the key on, wait a couple of seconds and then fire it up. What's happening is the fuel pressure is leaking down and you have to crank the car long enough for the pump to run and build the pressure up enough for it to fire off.

The "cold start valve" doesn't even work until it's really cold outside (like below 30 deg) and even then they don't need them. Mine was removed from the car 5+ years ago and fires right up. That isn't what's wrong. I've seen hundreds replaced trying to fix starting problems and they never are the problem. Like I said they'll fire up just fine without these valves even being on the car. MAybe in alaska they would be needed? :-)

Reply to
Steve T

Are you getting much exhaust smoke when the engine finally starts? Are you smelling any gas from the area around the fuel injectors or are their plastic bodies discolored? If yes to these ?, then the injectors are leaking either externally or internally and must be replaced.

Reply to
Sue D Nim

There is no smoke when the car finally starts. I didn't notice any smell or discoloration by the injectors but will double check.

Is replacing the check valve a relatively simple and inexpensive repair? Is there any test I can preform to confirm that it is failing?

I've tried to run the fuel pump by cycling the key between off and on in an attempt to build up some pressure before I go to start the car but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks!

Reply to
-

You really need to check the fuel pressure and make sure it's there when cranking. You may just have a slightly lean adjustment on the AF meter causing this? Or a intake leak somewhere? I can promise you that the cold start injector isn't the problem.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks for all the help! Without your feedback I'm sure I would have bought a replacement cold start valve -- which it now appears is not the cause of my problem.

Last night I checked under the hood to see if I could detect any leaks. Most the hoses are still original but appear to be okay. I twisted them all but couldn't notice any obvious problem. The strange thing is, now my ZX starts right up. I guess this could mean that there was / is a slight leak somewhere. Can the check valve also stick open on occassion?

Cheers!

Reply to
-

Yep, you might also have some corrotion on an electrical conection, check the ECU head/water temp sensor.

Reply to
Steve T