'82 280ZX: Starter Advice Sought

Hi!

I had a problem (cold) starting my '82 280ZX after it had been sitting for about two weeks. The engine would sputter a bit but never really started. I finally gave up after about 5 minutes or so when the battery seemed like it was running down. The weather had been rainy and very damp for the last week or so so I thought it might just be dampness causing the problem for some wires, distributor cap, etc. The car ran fine when last used.

After the weather cleared up I charged the battery to see if my ZX would start (or begin the problem diagnosis) but now the starter will only engage the engine for a few seconds and then it just "whines". It doesn't turn the engine over long enough for it to start.

Is it safe to assume that the starter is shot? I never let it crank for an extended period of time but I'm sure the repeated attempts must have stressed it. Figured I check with the experts before I go out and buy and install another starter especially since my funds are very limited.

Any feedback would be appreciated on both the starter situation and the cold start problem.

Thanks!

Reply to
-

Pull the starter and look at the pinion (drive) gear. If it looks worn or has missing teeth, that could be the problem with it not holding its engagement to the flywheel. Also could be the teeth on the flywheel. Inspect all the teeth on the flywheel. If I'd have to put money down on a bet, I'd say it was the starter. As far a s the cold start goes, if the motor isn't going to start after 30 seconds of cranking, it's foolish to crank it for 5 minutes. A little spray on the distrib with DW-40 will displace enough moisture to allow a damp motor to start.

Reply to
Mind Melt

Thanks for the advice, Double "M"!

Reply to