85 300ZX Non-Turbo - Transmission / Clutch Problem? :(

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading my post...

I have an '85 300ZX non-turbo, manual transmission. It has (gulp)

192,000 miles.

I rarely drive it, but when I took it out today, here's what happened:

  1. Started up fine, able to put the shifter into any gear with no problem.
  2. Began driving in 1st gear, no problem.
  3. When I pushed in the clutch for the first time, I heard a "whirring" noise and maybe a "clunk". I stopped the car and left the motor running. I could not even move the shifter in to any forward gear. I was able (with some horrible grinding noise) to get it into reverse and then before moving anywhere I could get it into 1st. I limped home in first, but I didn't dare to push in the clutch since I knew that I wouldn't be able to get it into gear again if I did. It was making a strange noise (whirring?).

I did check the clutch master and it does have plenty of fluid.

Any ideas? Maybe clutch release bearing? This car is obviously ancient, so anything's possible.

Thanks again, Bill

Reply to
BB