85 720 truck head gasket replacement

Personally I don't like the "wood block" way of doing this. It's too easy for it to slip and the tensioner then pops out of it's bore. The people who claim they will 'fall out anyway' are trying to jam the chain up high between the upper rails with this wood block way of doing it.

All you need to something that will slide down snugly between the chain all the way down to the crank sprocket. The key it two get something down at the bottom of the rail as that's where the tensioner is. You want something between the chains down where the tensioner piston is. Look at a picture of the chain layout and it will become obvious what you need to acomplish. I use a long screwdriver with a square handle end slide down between the chains to keep the tensioner from popping out of it's bore.

Reply to
Steve T

What about it? That has -nothing- to do with this question!

Reply to
Steve T

Hi all, I am getting ready to replace the head gasket in my 85 4x4 720 truck. It seems by all the info I could get my hands on that it is a pretty straight forward job except for the timing chain tensioner and chain. I have been reading the these will fall out and down into the front cover if not careful. Some say no matter what they do anyway. I have a template for a wood piece to put in the chain and will try that. My question is to anyone who has used this device and has any hints for me or other actions I can use for this operation? Also any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

Reply to
Jlfcopter

What about the harmonic balancer?

Reply to
David Rennick

One reason I use a screwdriver handle between the rail and tensioner is you can rotate the engine without losing the tensioner. As you found out with a wedge you can't.

Reply to
Steve T

I probably should not say anything here because I don't know how much they changed the engine between 82 and 85, but here goes (I had an 82 once with the Z22 engine).

I used the wooden wedge twice and it worked OK both times. So, I would say the wedge works, at least in the 82.

Depending on how many miles you have and how much work you want to do, you might want to check the stretch on the timing chain and replace it or adjust the guides (if that can be done on the 85). Before I replaced my head gasket at 130k the chain was slapping around right after starting. During the gasket job I stupidly took out the wedge to crank up the pistons to clean them and lost the adjuster (there was a spring in it -- I didn't know). So when I took off the front cover to rectify this mess, I adjusted the chain guide and the slap went away.

Jim

Reply to
James Andrus

Steve replied..>One reason I use a screwdriver handle between the rail and tensioner is you

Thank you for the replies. Steve, when you put the screwdriver handle down, do you place it between the chain or do you place it on one side of the chain and right or left chain guide? In other words, where exactly do I place the handle and how do you know if you have it in right? I have a Haynes manual that has a good diagram. Thanks again, Jerry

Reply to
Jlfcopter