85 strange truck cooling problem

Hi all, I have a strange problem and would like some input. Iowa 1985 4x4, 4 cyl. 720 truck. It started to really ping and today it was bad. I stopped and felt the rad cap. It was cool after driving around town. I was able to open it up and there was plenty of coolant, but the top hose was warm and the bottom was cool. I have heat inside and the temp gage was normal to a bit high (this truck has always been slow to warm up and it has been cold here, -8 to

+15, but I would think it would still overheat) I replaced the thermostat tonight with no help. The water is not circulating for some reason. The truck has been running great up to now. Waterpump failure seems remote?? I can squeeze the hoses and see a bit of movement of the coolant so hose collapse seems remote?? I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks, Jerry
Reply to
Jlfcopter

Are you sure the water pump didn't fail? Try removing the thermostat and see how the water circulates when revving the engine. If it doesn't flow very much, I'd look at replacing the water pump.

Reply to
: p