'86 harddbody idle dies on decelleration

Hello all:

When I come to a stop in my 1986 hardbody (2.4L TBI), the idle speed drops to less than 500 rpm, almost stalls, then eventually jumps back to 900 rpm or so. So far i've:

checked the computer for fault codes (none); replaced air filter, plugs, wires, O2 sensor, exhaust manifold (had a crack), distributor cap, rotor; adjusted valves & timing to specs; adjusted idle mixture; searched diligently for cracked or disconnected vacuum hosing; checked the EGR valve to see if it was binding open by blocking it off from the intake manifold (not the problem); ran a bottle of concentrated fuel injector cleaner through the truck.

This is driving me crazy. The truck runs well otherwise, no change in fuel economy or power. This problem appeared gradually over the past year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reply to
Bob Courtemanche

Did you... replace the fuel line filter? use an injector cleaner that also contains an isopropyl dry gas?

If the answer to both is no, change the fuel filter and add a can of dry gas.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

I did replace the fuel filter. The fuel injector cleaner I used did not contain alcohol, and my understanding is that alcohol is detrimental to O2 sensor function (?).

Thanks,

Reply to
Bob Courtemanche

Clean the throttle housing.