87 Nissan Stanza Cuts Out

All,

My daughter has an 87 Stanza with the four cylinder engine that has two plugs per head. The engine cuts out when driving down the road around

40 miles an hour and above. It is like someone is turning on and off the ignition. I removed the cap and rotor and found that there was oil in the distributor cap and inside the trigger area within the distributor. Tomorrow I will be buying a distributor, a cap and a rotor. Does the group think that there is something else that would cause the cutting out. It is not like a fuel starvation condition since it is not like the engine bogging. The tach drops rapidly a few hundred RPMs and then comes back and then it does it again. It does not seem to matter where the throttle is when this happens so it appears that it is not throttle related. Since it has two plugs per cylinder and two coils I assumed it was the trigger mechanism in the distributor and I think this is born out by the presence of oil in the distributor and cap. Oh, the plugs, wires and cap and rotor were new and the car just passed smog last month. Also, it has a new oxygen sensor and the intake hose between the air meter and throttle body were replaced last year so there is not an intake leak. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply to
Jon Smith

Update...

The distributor has an > All,

Reply to
Jon Smith

You maybe able to replace just the o-ring/seal inside of the distributor, also change out o-ring on the outside of the dist.

Reply to
jjjsan

Reply to
Jon Smith