'87 Pathfinder - Fuel or electricial problem? HELP!

Sundundly my 87 Pathfinder has started cutting out. This problem is very intermintent. Sometimes no problem, sometimes will hardly run. Somtime run rough, slight miss, other times smooth as silk. This just started 4 days ago for no apparent reason. Have tried high-octain fuel and additaves. Changed fuel filter. New plug wires and plugs. Any ideas or feedback appreciated. J

Reply to
texassurveyor

My 1987 Pathfinder (now with 306,000 miles!) exhibited similar problems back in the summer of 1996. Only during rain and wet weather, though. A cracked housing on the throttle position sensor was letting moisture in causing it to run rough especially during acceleration.

More recently, a connection on the MAF sensor had gotten loose causing rough running. I cleaned the connections, and made sure they all aligned properly and made good contact. Runs fine now and with the best gas mileage in years. I'm averaging 20.44 mpg this year with the v-6 5-speed.

M>Sundundly my 87 Pathfinder has started cutting out. This problem is very

Reply to
Monte B. Carroll

Get it to someone who has some diagnostic equipment and experience. With symptoms as you have described, there could be one of many things wrong. Or multiple things wrong. You could end up spending a good chunk of change and pull some hair out trying to fix it by the process of replacing good, working parts until you stumbled upon the right bad part. Trust me, I've done the same thing and have learned from my mistakes. You just can't beat an experienced tech with the right equipment. And the problem could very possibly be correctly diagnosed even though it does not choose to manifest itself in a miss or rough run at the time it's being diagnosed.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Wow, 306K miles! And to think I didn't buy the pathfinder that year because it was $12,000. The hardbody I did get was only $7500.

LOL!

filesiteguy