87 Pulsar SE, Leaking pinion, what if I just bypass the rack?

As mentioned there is a moderate leak that appears to be coming from the top of the pinion, as best I can tell.

On this 19 year old car I dont want to put much money into it. So I thought why not just loop the power steering pump output back to the reservoir and drive it with manual steering?

Any downside?

Any comment appreciated.

TIA

Doug in Canada.

Reply to
Doug

I own one as well, but I think my answer could apply to most power steering vehicles.

Don't do it. A power steering car without it's power steering does not make it a manually steered car. It makes it much worse. Has your car ever died while tooling around at slow speeds? The wheel can be almost impossible to turn.

If you don't want to spend much money, and the leak is moderate, just keep the reservoir full. If the leak is worse than that, consider getting it fixed or start looking for another 20 year old car. That's what I do, anyway!

-- R Flowers

Reply to
R Flowers

Agreed. Manually steered cars have different gear ratios.

Reply to
still me