91 Pathfinder ignition question

Can anyome tell me what kind of device is used on this vehicle to send a signal to the ignition module switching transistor? On my 87 Dodge Dakota, a Hall-effect pickup is used. I would be outside right now tearing into the distributor to find out, but it is raining like hell right now here in sunny California and the Pathfinder is parked on the street, so I am trying to get up to speed on it. It's a friend's car. He has an appointment for tomorrow to take it to his regular mechanic to get a leaking water pump replaced when it died suddenly near his place two days ago. He had it towed home and there it sits.

There is no spark from the coil. I disconnected the + and - wires that connect to the primary winding and checked them with a volt meter while the engine was cranked and got a DC reading of about 10 volts. I was expecting to see a fluctuating needle as the transistor in the ignition module switched on and off, so I figure it must be the ignition module or the device in the distributor that sends a signal to it.

Cajn anyone confirm that I am on the right trail?

Thanks Jack

Reply to
Jack

Sure its not a timing belt?

Reply to
Ron

Broken t-belt will also have no spark.

That said, it has an optical pickup in the distributor that sends a signal to the FI computer which then sends the signal to the power transistor. There is no "ignition module" as such as the FI computer controls the spark. Most places just sell a reman dist as replacing that sensor isn't easy.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Jack

:'(

when the engine was

I wouldn't be too happy. Most of the time those engines crash valves hard..

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Jack