91 Pathfinder tranny or clutch noise

So my 91 Pathfinder 5 spd. tranny one day started making this loud noise when the clutch is let out. The only way to explain it putting some baseballs into a bucket and rolling them around. It does it in all but 4th gear. 4th gear is quiet. The noise get louder at I accelerate, and when the clutch is pushed in, it goes away.

This is odd to me. when the truck is in nuetral and the clutch is out, I can hear it but it's not near as loud, as soon as I'm in gear though and let it out it starts. Like I said, gears 1-3 and 5 all make the same amount of noise, but 4th is silent. Any ideas?

Reply to
production

You have a problem with the countershaft bearings in the transmission

Reply to
NissTech

This would cause the noise but still make 1 gear completely quiet? How is this fixed? Am I better off with a new transmission or having the one I have rebuilt?

Reply to
production

This would cause the noise but still make 1 gear completely quiet? How is this fixed? Am I better off with a new transmission or having the one I have rebuilt?

Reply to
production

I ran into the same situation with my 280zx. Only difference is your absence of noise in 4th gear which I can't really explain. The fact that it is noise/vibrates in neutral with the clutch engaged, but goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed in indicates that either your front mainshaft or countershaft bearings are bad. That doesn't exclude other problems though.

When I was researching my 280zx problem, I ran across some renderings that explained the manual transmission pretty well.

look at the bottom of the page.

Rebuild kits are available at

and considering how much of a pain in the ass the transmission is to pull, you'll probably want to replace the clutch too. Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Howstuffworks has a great explanation of how manual transmissions work:

JM