91 stanza transmission is locked how do i unlock it??

I just bought a 91 stanza from a friend.When he parked it everything was working fine.It was parked for 4 months and wasn?t used.The car starts perfect and everything esle works great.When I triedd to take it out of park the shifter won?t move.It?s an automatic tranny by the way.So i brought it to shop and they told me the tranny was locked,I have never heard of this happening.He told me i need a new one.I was wondering if this happen to anyone else and if so he do i solve this problem without replacing the transmission.Any help would be awesome.

Reply to
soma

My daughter's Stanza had a similar problem. Is there a manual-disengagement button (red?) just in front of the shift lever? Did you try pushing this down while trying to move the shift?

In my daughter's case, the problem was caused by interlocks (trouble is, it's been a while, and I can't remember exactly which one...sorry). I took off the plastic cover through which the shift lever protrudes, and some more bits (I think) to reveal what exactly is going on when you try to move the lever. As I recall, there's a linkage attached to the thumb-button (at the top of the lever) that will not allow the lever to be moved unless a solenoid-operated stop is drawn out of the way. That solenoid in my case was not operating, and the reason was some obscure interlock which was not getting enabled (seat switch?, brake switch? I forget) I overrode it with a bypass wire to confirm the diagnosis, then tracked down the actual fault and fixed it.

Good luck!

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff