'92 Nissan O2 Sensor replacement

Well, Rock Auto had a special on the O2 sensor for my '92 Sentra w/1.6L gas engine, so I said, "Why not? 177K it probably would not hurt."

Except I cannot remove the old sensor. I've been spraying it with Liquid Wrench for about two weeks, and I went to remove it yesterday. No dice. I have a 7/8" O2 socket, but it doesn't get a good "grip". The corners are starting to round over on the sensor.

The replacement sensor is almost spark-plug like, but the old one's flats are not as high, and it sits in another little plug (like a reducer bushing, which I presume is welded to the manifold) and there is not much room to get any kind of tool on it.

I can live without the new sensor; I just don't want to break the old one and not be able to replace it.

Any hints or tips?

Reply to
Plague Boy

Put a jubilee clip round the socket to stop it splaying open.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Reply to
Plague Boy

Sorry yes Jubilee = brand name of British hose clip, used generically just like Hoover.

All the O2 sensor sockets I've seen are full hex with one side cut out for the wire. If it rides over the corners then a 12 point will too.

Reply to
Peter Hill

There are very few justifications for 12 point sockets. If you are using a socket, you are using a ratchet 95% of the time, so the extra points do nothing but give you less grip. For the few times you use a breaker bar, 6 points are the way to go and the 12 point is definitely useless.

The only exceptions are times when you really need a breaker bar and you just can't do the angle with a 6pt; or for 12 point bolts (there are some used on a few cars).

TO the OP - if an oxy sensor socket won't do it, you can buy 6 pt deep impact wrench sockets and do it that way. You'll need to sacrifice the wires.

Reply to
me