'92 Nissan Stanza-update

I can't find the thread, "Costly exhaust problem" to reply to.

I wound up replacing the entire exhaust system, except the converter and the front pipe attached to it. It looked as if whoever "fixed" it cut off the flanges and then slip-fitted the joints, holding them with clamps. And coat hangers. And bailing wire. I decided not to bother trying to hack all this stuff into shape because of the "dubious reliability" factor. Cost was about $250.00 for the exhaust, $30 for a front motor mount (had a lot of slop and suspected that's what ripped the front pipe apart), plus a few hot, sweaty, uncomfortable hours under the car. The worst part was cutting the studs(?) off the converter and drilling them out.

I finally switched the plates and drove it for the first time Friday, and some more Saturday. I have to admit it runs *very* well- not even allowing that it hasn't had a tune-up in several years. It also is a much better performer than the 2.0 engine in the '85 Camry it is replacing. So far, I am very happy. It still needs-

Complete tune-up front rotors and pads interior cleaning of spilled food/coffee exterior buff/wax headliner/visor fabric replacement probably new radio probable O2 sensor repair of sagging driver's door possibly get scratch on windshield removed (from bad pass. wiper)

Reply to
Plague Boy

Kudos on the exhaust repair; sounds like it was a tough job. But your original post was about a Sentra, not a Stanza, so I hope you didn't fix someone else's car! ;D

I have a '93 Sentra XE needing its 50,000 mile tune-up: what exactly do you tune up on a car w fuel injection, no carb, no points, no rotor?

The ONLY time I took it in for a tune-up ('bout 3 years ago) they took my money and did nothing, AFAICT. I had to replace the original NGK plugs myself. After that and another incident, I want never to give my old XE to a mechanic again.

Also, the paint: Is it possible to buff out the "frosted" areas on the up-facing sheet metal? The car is basically sound. It just needs tending by an honest mechanic -- me.

Thanks, JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

No, just posting before the first cup o' coffee this AM. :-)

Hmm. Mine is getting (again, it's been neglected):

-Air and fuel filters

-PCV valve

-Bosch plugs and wires

-cap and rotor

-MT oil change

-maybe timing and idle check

-belts

The old "visual inspection" ploy. Yeah, it's a racket.

Well, I spent all weekend cleaning this beast. First, scrub with brush and car detergent, then a hose down. Then, rubbed it all with abrasive compound. Then, another rubbing with a lighter abrasive, then another scrubbing and hose-down. Next, a towel-drying, and then a coat of wax.

Results: It's clean. It's shiny. However, it does not look "showroom new", or even close. There are numerous spots where it looks as if it's rusted under the paint. Irregular areas about

1/8" to 1/4". There are also numerous white rings about 1/16" in diameter. The doors and fenders are mostly OK, except where they are rusted (rust belt car).
Reply to
Plague Boy

Plague Boy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

WRT the paint;lots of cars these days are clear-coated,they spray coats of clear paint over the still-wet final color coat,and when the clear wears away from age and weather,the paint underneath looks like crap. You basically need a new paint job at that point. If left be,the color chalks off and your autobody begins to rust.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Damn. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Makes me wonder whether I should buy new instead, 'cause no shop is going to give much care about repainting a 14 year old Sentra.

Reply to
DemoDisk

Yeah, I should have thought a little before I posted. BTW, I followed the advice I got here to use only NGK plugs and NOT Bosch, but maybe you'll do OK with em.

I think mine might look pretty good after that double-compound treatment.

Ehh, gawd. Are you ready to try sanding and priming? That and A/T work is something I never cared to try.

My first car, a '67 Ford Galaxie, was a rust belt car I drove to college on the Gulf coast. It was whole when I got it, but you could almost

*hear* it rusting in the southern heat and humidity. At the end of the year, I set my footlocker down in the trunk and it went right through to the pavement! But like the Sentra, it always ran. And it gave me an education, of sorts. 1993 Sentra needs:

Repainting? (see next post) Replace drive axles Engine/radiator flush/refill Replace all hoses and belts Replace thermostat Replace headliner and visor fabric Clean/replace Mass Air Flow sensor Replace rear brake cylinder(s) Find a way to remove that GD driver's w/wiper arm!

I know I'm venting a little, but these are the issues I know about. There may be others....

Reply to
DemoDisk

"DemoDisk" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

IMO,you should be able to find a shop that would do a good job on your Sentra despite it's age. Cost is another matter,though. How much do you want to invest in it?

Doing your own prep work (sanding,filling dents)may help with the cost.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

on 8/13/2007 11:25 PM DemoDisk said the following:

Uh, oh... better get Maaco!

willshak

whether I

New paint... Well, if the shop does it like they care, maybe $350. Would that be fair?

I'd say around $1,000 for the grand refurbishing and new paint, and that's with doing all the cosmetic and tuneup stuff myself. (drive axles, belts, headliner, etc.) More than that might not be worth it 'cause it isn't getting any younger.

A '93 Sentra XE sells for around $800 on the 'used' market, but I bought it new and I'd hate to trade it with less than 55K miles on it. Fixed up, its a sweet little sedan.

I've tried a little of that in the past, with amusing results. ; )

Tnx, JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

"DemoDisk" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

But it's NOT "fixed up".

I'd go to Earl Scheib or the local equivalent for a basic paint job,and put most of my money in the mechanical repairs.For a car of that age and condition(excluding it's low mileage),its not worth trying to get a high quality or OEM paint job.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

job,and put

Yeah, you're probably right. Noted, and thanks, Jim. JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk