92 Pathfinder ABS- is it working?

When I start the pathfinder the yellow "ABS" light comes on for a few seconds and shuts off (all part of the system check at start). My question- how do I test if my ABS is engaging? I have seen the abs light come on in the past with hard stops. However, if I try to make it happen by driving up to 40-45mph and slamming on the brakes it does not come on. Any ideas on how I can test it?

Reply to
MM

Find a *big* open space. Then drive around in a circle, and brake hard. You don't need to go fast - 15mph is enough.

No ABS = straight on or spin.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

A gravel or dirt road should do it - something that provides little or no traction.

It should have engaged at 40-45 on a good road though. You need to really stand on it.

Reply to
E. Meyer

On a loose or slippery surface slam the brakes on you should get a horrible grating feeling through the brake pedal.

Reply to
Skip

first things first

when the engine is started the ABS system goes thru a self test sequence, if all is ok the ABS light goes out.

second , the ABS system will not engage if the vehicle speed is under 15 mph.

the light will only come on if there is a problem with the system , not when the system is active, by active I mean modulating the braking system to test the system,

1 put your seat belt on 2.get on a road or parking lot where there is no traffic as not to endanger anyone other than yourself :-)
  1. get going about 40 mph and literally stand on the brake pedal with both feet as hard as you can and don't let up.

we will wait for your report

Reply to
NissTech