92 Pathfinder Oil Leak

My 92 Pathfinder has developed an oil leak at 93k miles. If you were to look underneath, the drops are falling from the back side of the oil pan (not a loose oil drain nut or filter). The oil appears to be coming from the starter side, then drips down the bell housing/onto the pan. After driving 30min and park I can get 5-10 drops on the ground. Any ideas on how to fix this? What do you think it would cost? Will it get worse? Would throwing some high-milage oil in with the sealant work (with messing things up). As you can tell- any help appreciated.

MM

Reply to
MM

oil sending switch (sending unit) or check the valve cover gasket

Reply to
doS

Thanks for the reply.

I am a weekend warrior and needed help from the following...

I found my oil sending switch (yellow boot + wire next to the oil filer- please confirm?). With a light and a mirror I could see it was dry along with the oil filter. It also appears the valve gasget is ok, but I am not 100%.

The "wet" oil I can see--

  1. drops hanging from the bottom of the bell housing
  2. oil coming off the rear of the oil pan-passenger side
  3. drops hanging off the trans cooling lines as they run in parallel next to the oil pan (which is a bit higher than the bell housing "drops").

This is looking like an expensive repair. Are there other thoughts. FYI- when the timing belt was done in June they replaced the cam and crank seals.

Thanks again.

"doS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
MM

could be a rear main oil seal, but I have saw valve cover gaskets leak down beside/behind the engine, hard to spot sometimes.

Reply to
doS

Reply to
Shawn

Try as I may I dont see oil coming off the valve gasget. Just called Nissan- they want $1024 labor + parts to do the main seal.

In 2004 I have replace the AC, shocks, all belts & hoses (timing included), tires, left exhaust manifold + studs, water pump and thermostat... so I have spent $3500! I also need to do the right exhaust gasget ($400-600) and now the main seal!! Kelly BB list this car around $5500.

Will letting the main seal leak cause damage elsewhere (besides my driveway)? At 93k miles, would you pay the bill (I wonder what is next- you know)? I need her for about 2 more years.

Thanks for help and opinions...

"Shawn" wrote in news:eYbjd.64439$R05.35132@attbi_s53:

Reply to
MM

Place a piece of cardboard beneath the vehicle, see if it is really oil or trans fluid.

Reply to
doS

I am 100% it is oil (texture, color, smell). It is fresh 10w/30 with no red. As they say, looks like-smells like-taste like oil... good thing I did not step in it.

"doS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
MM

hehe......is your oil dip stick on that side by any chance, the side of the leak?

Reply to
doS

As best I can tell, the side with the leakage is occuring on the tranmission dipstick side; the starter side (passenger side of the car).

"doS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
MM

Following up on what I think is going on... it must be the main seal as my problem matches the following....

I guess there is a chance it could be the oil pan gasget, but either way the job is huge.

mm

MM wrote in news:Xns9598D3696DCA2noemailnowherecom@64.164.98.6:

Reply to
MM

Can you check the pan bolts for looseness, sometimes a quarter of a turn will help.

Reply to
doS

Find an experienced independent Nissan repair facility. The cost will be much less than the dealer and you will get the same warranty for probably one-half or less of the dealer price.

Reply to
Jack

I have a 1993 pathfinder and my drive way had oil dropping wherever I parked. I took to Jiffy Lube and they have something called a leak test that they can do on your vehicle to see where the oil leak is at. There is a dye that they put in with my oil and in about 3 to 4 days I came back and they have a special light that they use (black light)and the dye alluminates when the light is shinned on it and they determined I had a oil pan gasket leak. I have not gotten if fixed but I know where it's leaking from.

Reply to
stefreg