'92 Sentra very hard to start and no power

On 3 occasions my '92 Sentra with 220k miles has been very hard to start. It had ignition intermittently but just wouldn't start. After about 20 minutes, it finally starts. On one of these occasions, it would idle OK but not take the throttle. After a few minutes running, it straightened out. I noticed the fuel pump runs a little longer when I turn the key if I wait 10 seconds or so in between tries. I also smelled a gun powder smell when it was not taking the gas. What could be wrong. I haven't replaced anything yet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Johnson

Try turning the key on and leaving it on for a little bit (maybe 15 seconds or so). Then try to actually start it. If it consistently starts, it could be that you're having an issue with your fuel pump or fuel delivery.

Hope this is of use Remco

Reply to
remco

Just to clarify -- turn the key to where the dash idiot lights come on. Don't actually crank the car until 15 seconds later.

Reply to
remco

That's how I finally got it started but I had to do it over and over. I wonder if the fuel pressure regulator could be sticking open and not holding pressure. It has yet to trip the check engine light.

Reply to
Chris Johnson

I got a new clue. I got it started by unplugging the fuel pump fuse. I think the injectors are leaking after the engine is shut off.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Johnson