93 Altima auto trans won't shift - sometimes

Every once in awhile, but moreso recently, I get in my 93 Altima and it's like the automatic trans is stuck in 2nd. It accellarates verys slowly, then never shifts. While this is happening, moving the shift lever to 1,2,L, whatever, does nothing. I pull over. Shut off engine, restart, and everything's fine.

Anybody have any ideas? I did notice that, when I pull over and restart, the [O/D OFF] idiot light blinks about 15 times as I pull away. I'm not certain, but I think the problem may only occur when I start the car, pull out of a parking spot in Reverse, then shift into Drive (not sure if it ever happened when I started the car and went directly into Drive).

Thanks.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bob Cuesta

If your O/D light is blinking, thats means a troubleshooting code has been issued from your transmission. Retrieving the code will tell you what the problem is.

Reply to
am

I did the procedure to retrieve the error msg from the TCU, but all 10 blinks were of equal length.

Any other suggestions?

BTW - the procedure to pull errors from the TCU posted prior was not correct for my 93 Altima.

Reply to
Bob Cuesta

Not sure if it's related but, I found a dead short in a wire that was traversing the car from alternator to fusebox (under the radiator!) that was causing charging problems. Once that wire was replaced, the trans problem hasn't reared its ugly head. "Coincidence", you say? I think not.

Or at least, I HOPE not...

-Bob

Reply to
Bob Cuesta