93 Altima - Timing chain Guide - DIY Remove?

My 93 Altima has started making a slight noise from the top of the timing chain cover. My research indicates that this could be a broken guide. So far, I have only found the procedure for a complete upgrade of the timing chain(s). - a fair amount of work...

I was wondering if anyone had removed the guide without servicing the timing chain? Is it a shorter procedure?

I think I have both oil leaks - the oil pan, and the o-ring under the timing chain. So, I might just do the whole procedure, but thought I would check first if it is possible to remove a broken guide without doing the whole job.

Thanks, Robert

Reply to
Robert Gray

Yes, you can just take off the valve cover and the upper timing chain cover to get at the upper timing chain guides. Take the guides off and throw them away. Check the tensioner to make sure the problem isn't really a stuck tensioner before you close it back up.

Reply to
E. Meyer

This is correct, just throw the guides away, normally only the top/upper one causes problems..

Reply to
Steve T