93 Nissan PU starting problem - Help needed

Help please!

My son recently bought a 93 Nissan Kingcab with automatic transmission. It has about 260,000 kilometres on it and had been sitting for a couple of years with little fuel in the tank.

We had a problem lately with very rough idle to the point of stalling. Some gas line antifreeze and injector cleaner has helped. Not sure if the idle problem was due to rust or crap getting up to the injectors from the tank or not.

The main problem that has surfaced in the past week is that after the truck has been driven for a short trip, 10 minutes yesterday for example, parked at a store and turned off, it will not start.

The engine turns over but its as if there is no gas to the engine. After about an hour the truck will start easily.

Can someone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks Brian

Reply to
Amyotte

On 12/4/2004 4:52 PM US(ET), Amyotte took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Try replacing the gas line filter. It may be clogged with debris from the tank.

Reply to
willshak

Forgot to mention the truck is a 4 cylinder.

Brian

Reply to
Amyotte

I bought a new fuel filter but due the rain have not been able to install. Assume this is to help the idle.

Any thoughts on the starting problem?

Brian

Reply to
Amyotte

On 12/4/2004 5:39 PM US(ET), Amyotte took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

You mentioned rain... Was it raining when it wouldn't start? Wet spark plug wires, or moisture in the rotor cap?

Reply to
willshak

Dry the first time and rain yesterday. I would think that any dampness would be a rough idle if it was spark related. The engine I think would appear to at least try to start.

Brian

Reply to
Amyotte

sounds like gunk. from the truck sitting. happens to lawnmowers, motorcycles.

Reply to
down-n-out-collectibles

I replaced the fuel filter this morning and put in a fresh set of plugs. Still has a rough idle when warm, smoother when cold. But have to let the injector cleaner do its stuff. Haven't gone thru a 1/4 tank yet.

I looked for the ECCS unit under the passenger seat, awkward spot to see it, and used a mirror to see 1 red and 1 green led on solid. This is with the key turned just before ignition.

2 solid leds with no flashes - does that mean "happy"?

I took the truck for a 15min drive and came back, turned off, let sit for 5 minutes and it restarted OK. Tried to duplicate the starting trouble a couple of days ago.

Thanks Brian

Reply to
Amyotte

yeh, but if you knew the answers.........

transmission.

Reply to
doS

transmission.

stalling.

I took the truck to the local Nissan dealer and the mechanic found the EGR value to be sticking. Rather than just replace it ($280CDN) he worked on it, cleaned it up, freed it up and now the engine just purrs. Thanks to all for the suggestions

Brian

Reply to
amyotte