'93 Pathfinder -- Black box under driver seat? (Audio?)

Hey, I've got 2 boxes under the driver's seat in my '93 Pathfinder. One I know is the alarm (I had to remove it because it was screwed up by a previous owner.), the other I'm not so sure. It has a sticker on it that has the (brand?) K+H (where the + is really this funny star thing) and the part number on it is BJ9552. It has a 17 pin harness:

/--------------------------------\ | -- -- -- -- | | -- -- -- -- | | -- -- -- -- | -- | -- -- -- -- | -----------------------------------

I suspect it might be audio related? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The stereo was shot when I bought my rig used, I pulled it to put in an aftermerket deck. I've installed maybe a dozen decks before and never has any real problem... hook up the constant power/switched power/ground, then hook up the speakers, and voila! Not so this time. Nissan apparently decided it would be a fun exercise in futility to design for an amp-less deck in the dash, with separate amps burried in varoius places for the front and rear speakers. ie: no "real" speaker wires for me to hook up my new deck to. I finally found the amp for the rear speakers (a ~round little clarion, I believe) behind the floor air vents, waaaaay back behind the CD player position. That was half the battle. I have been busy and have yet to find the amp for the front speakers. I'm half tempted to run my own wires under the carpet to the front doors and just do a splice there, but I'd rather not have to get at the doors. I'll take a better look at this "black box" tomorrow and see if it might be the answer.

Like I said, if anyone has any ideas... post 'em, or email me. You might save me some head scratching.

Thanks,

-AC fsajc3[AT]uaf[DOT]edu -- please make the appropriate substitutions.

Reply to
A. Chapman

Shawn

eh, its the computer...

Reply to
GlassEyeinaDucksass

its the engine management computer. Kind of a dumb place to put it on a

4X4.

Reply to
D. Dub

if the truck has ABS , the control unit may be under there .

also the keyless entry control unit is under there too

Reply to
NissTech

My 87 pathfinder had the black box (ecu, computer, etc) under the passenger front seat, it has two light for testing (One third of the factory shop manual was dedicated to how the light would blink for troubleshooting) (another big chuck of pages for emissions and related). Less than half of the book or the rest was for rebuilding and tuneups. Nissan is pretty good (or thrifty) is keeping the same stuff. After the pathfinder bit the dust. I took the seats and bolted them in a datsun 78 b210. A little higher but better than sitting in a hole. I don,t think I helped much

Reply to
David Askari

Now there's a couple decent ideas. I'd be pretty sure it's not the keyless entry, as I'm pretty darn sure that was built into the alarm (the alarm has the antenna and receiver, etc.), but the rear ABS is an idea.

For all who said it was my ECM/Computer, it isn't. That's under the passenger seat, and I can find a world of info on it in all the service manuals... It's the extra box under the driver's seat I'm curious about (and the manuals seem silent about). BTW- I forgot to note earlier, the box does have the NISSAN logo molded into the plastic, so it's not aftermarket or anything.

Now for the fun part: - unplugged the box - looked for any change - found NONE. - drove for a week - still found no change.

yeah, as far as I can tell it doesn't do squat. (Ok, I know that isn't true, but the doggone thing is sitting in my lap and I've been driving around all week without it... and I don't miss anything.) ???

My rear ABS never seemed to work great to start out with. They don't lock up, but they don't really seem to brake well either. Feels more like I'm predominantly using the front brakes.

If it were an add-on module of some sort that went with the keyless/alarm then I obviously wouldn't notice it being hooked up vs. removed.

Thanks to those who gave me tips on finding the audio amps... the rear spkr amp was ~6 inches under the radio and the front spkr amp was in the right rear quarter panel (under the trim, right under the window). My new deck sounds great (other than the terrible bass-handling of the factory speakers... but I'll swap 'em out sometime.)

Any more thoughts on the mysterious black box would be appreciated. Thanks,

-AC fsajc3[at]uaf[dot]edu

Reply to
A.Chapman