'93 Pathfinder - How to disable security system?

Hello all, My sister has a '93 Pathfinder, and her security system has some kind of bug in it that will cause the alarm to go off at random times.

Any ideas on how to disable it (or fix it)? She bought the car new and the system was already installed , so it's either factory or a dealer installed item.

Her mechanic spent quite a while trying to figure it out with no luck. BTW, the owner's manual is no help.

Thanks for any tips or advice, Paul

P.S. The car also has a short in the elec. door locks (been that way for many years), but I don't suppose there's a relationship here, is there?

Reply to
chisel

If I remember correctly, there is a switch on the console just under the arm rest. You can set the "vibration" setting, or somesuch. On my '94, the thing was so sensitive that a medium-loud motorcycle could easily set it off. I left that feature turned off for years.

Reply to
ppointer

Reply to
Shawn

I'll be seeing my sister and her Pathfinder this weekend, so I'll see what I can find. Thanks!

Reply to
chisel

Funny I ran across this... I just disabled the security system on my '93 Pathfinder this afternoon for the exact same reason. I baught it used (w/ no remote) and the system would go off randomly (usually at 3am when it was raining... *ughhh*).

Here's the deal: - remove the 4 bolts that hold the drivers seat in place and pull it out. - under the carpet there is a box (mine has a "genuine nissan part" sticker or something on top.) *not to be confused with the box that is on TOP of the carpet. - unplug the main harness from the box (single row of pins). There is also a plug that has only 2 wires in it ( in a |-- orientation). This is to disable ignition. If the two wires are jumpered, the car will start -- if open, it won't.

VOILA! I've been driving around all day and messing with it and no alarm! WOO HOO!

Oh yeah, put your seat back in... :-)

Now can anyone tell me what the other box under the driver's seat is? Small audio amp? Email me if anyone knows. Thx.

Good luck,

-AC

Reply to
A. Chapman

Reply to
Shawn

sorry didnt notice you are the same poster as the other question (pours more coffee ;)

Reply to
Shawn

BTW, I bought two Nissan remotes on ebay for $19 each. Came with easy instructions, and I quickly programmed them for my girlfriend's I30t. Maybe she'll not leave the fob on the roof anymore.

Reply to
ppointer

Thanks for your post. My sister swears that there's no box under the driver's seat, but I'll have to look for myself after your post.

chisel

Reply to
chisel

Like I said, it is UNDER the carpet... you really can't find it too well without pulling the 4 bolts and lifting the seat. If you DO try to find it without lifting the seat, you have to do it by reaching under from the FRONT of the seat, because that is the direction the carpet lays on top of it.

Good luck,

-AC fsajc3[at]uaf[dot]edu

Reply to
A.Chapman