94 Max Clutch failure - Brake fluid question

Can anyone recommend a better brake fluid?

For the first time ever I had problems with the clutch hydraulic system in my 94 Maxima; every morning, the pedal would go to the floor, without disengaging the clutch.

After manually returning the pedal, the clutch would work for the rest of the day without a problem.

I took apart the master cylinder and found that the seals where in perfect shape, no visible wear, but the inside of the cylinder was full with crude that looked as if there were drops of grease in the fluid, i think that was moisture. This crude apparently did not allow the valve at the end of the piston, to work correctly, thus causing the problem.

The cylinder itself is in top shape, no visible marks or wear whatsoever. What concerned me is that the coating on the cover of the valve at the end of the piston, the piston itself and the spring, showed signs of chemical attack, the coating is gone in patches.

I rebuilt the cylinder with new nissan parts and in an environment as clean as possible.

Since I had changed the fluid several times, and it never changed color significantly, I am doubting the quality of the brake fluid I use, Valvoline SynPower synthetic.

Can anyone recommend a better brake fluid?

Reply to
AS

Is synthetic fluid recommended? Synthetic (silicone, I assume) is generally not compatible with regular, glycol-based brake fluid, in that it will not mix. It may in fact still work, but not mixing will cause problems of its own. Silicone fluid does not absorb moisture, but is not as lubricating as glycol. That may be the basis of your problem. I have always used a major brand DOT-4 fluid, change it every 5 years (or more often).

-mike w

Reply to
mike w