94 pathfinder oil galleries??

anyone ever heard of this problem?? it is as if my oil is not circulating properly in that their was a loud ticking happening and loss of power, added some Lucas oil and 1 quart of oil and the problem went away...for now. BUT I had been waiting for some time fro the oil to go down so I could add the Lucas additive , there fore I had been checking the oil level every day and there was no significant change in oil level. BUT when the prob happened, I of course went and checked the oil level and the stick was showing empty BUT no oil pressure light came on at all. ( and it does work as I see it when I turn the ignition on) only thing I can figure is like happened to the Bronco II , they had a problem with the oil galleries being too small so they would clog up. Any one ever deal with this on the PFD and if so any suggestions on how to fix it... Already ran flush thru to no Avail Thanks Al

Reply to
ohh yeah here we go again

I've never come across that happening on a Pathfinder when I was in the shop.

You mention waiting on the oil level to go down? Start there and repair whatever is leaking, be it rear main seal or front cam and crank seals. How about the oil pressure sending unit?

Also make sure you're only using a genuine OEM Nissan oil filter (#

15208-55Y00, retails for $5.83 here in PA, FYI) and quality 5W30 engine oil (I use Pennzoil, personal preference), and be sure to change both NO longer than every 3,000 miles.

After repairing the leaks and using the above parts, give it an oil change or two to clean out before trying to diagnose further. If it's as dirty as you've made it out to be (I would have definitely advised against ever running flush through the engine, no matter how possibly abused) it may take some time to hopefully be able to clear its history of past oil abuse.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Well thanks for the info.. did a complete oil change again, still ticking real bad.... almost like a lifter is gone.... pulled the valve pan off and observe ed a couple of things.

  1. lotsa lotsa caked in sludge
  2. not much oil flow...
3.all the lifters are lifting and valves are all pumping. near as I can tell there is 2 options
  1. a messed up oil pump , where is it and what kind??? mechanical. electric. on the engine. in the oil pan??
  2. blocked oil passage. where does the oil come from? tubes or up thru the lifters?
  3. is there a screen somewhere? if so where? as if there's that much sludge in the valve pan area odds are pretty good the screen is packed in. Also of interested is I just did an oil change about 4 weeks ago and the sludge buildup both in the oil and the filter was tremendous. ( filter weighed about 2-3 lbs after I took the oil out. going to cut it open and have a look) any help suggestions as usual is GREATLY appreciated and have to tell ya as a fellow with a single vehicle living 30 miles from work this SUCKS. Merry Christmas Scrooge where ever ya are..lol Al

Reply to
ohh yeah here we go again

Always glad to assist. I don't believe there is a problem with the oil pump, this is also something I've never seen go on a Nissan (smashed oil pans aside, LOL).

To access the pump screen would require dropping the oil pan and it's been so long that I wouldn't even want to venture a guess at what needs removed (the front pumpkin, if not the engine in the end) to do so. As long as the pan isn't crushed, I'd avoid this route for the time being. It would be great if you knew someone with a borescope that could bring it over

the nexttime you pull the drain plug on the oil pan. They could run it up inand you could visually check that screen to be certain. I'm going from the assumption that ticking is not a broken exhaust manifold stud(s) (or just a noisy injector) which will have warped your exhaust manifold(s) causing an exhaust leak which, FYI, will sound 100%!!! like a ticking lifter. The reason I mention this at all is that every single Pathfinder that came through the shop door with valve train noise ended up being broken exhaust manifold studs.

The information you provided below is of good news though. Particularly the part about how much sludge was trapped in the filter. Your changing the oil and filter frequently is allowing the engine to slowly clean itself out. My recommendation, given that amount of crud, would be to simply continue as you are, run about 1,000 miles/4 weeks and then change the oil and filter. Keep this up until you notice the bulk of the mess gone (cutting open the filter).

Sorry I couldn't offer more than that, but again, you're on the right track with early and repeated oil/filter changes.

Please keep us posted with the developments and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Wil

Reply to
Truck