94 Sentra Cruise Control Problem

Hi,

I own a 94 Sentra which has been running along great till now (has 121K miles on it). I've recently been having problems with my cruise control. It works fine at lower speeds (around 30 - 50 mph), but fails at higher speeds (60 - 80mph - which I where it is needed...). I can feel the cruise control trying to accelerate, but it fails and the car steadily slows down to around 50mph and then it maintains that speed. My guess is that it's a problem of a leaky diaphragm in the cruise control system. And the mechanic gave me an estimate of around $150 - $300 to fix it depending on whether I wanted a new or used Cruise control box. Anybody have any other thoughts or less expensive solutions?

Thank you. Thiaga

Reply to
thiaga

I had the same problem with my 94 Altima. The cause was the end of the vacuum line to the diaphragm had dried out and split at the diaphragm fitting. I just cut the end off and reattached it, and it worked fine after that.

Reply to
JM

Thanks a million for the response... Any idea as to where these components are usually situated in the vehicle?

Thiaga

Reply to
thiaga

I found the vacuum line and fixed it. It was precisely the same problem! Thanks again.

Thiaga

Reply to
thiaga

Great, glad I could help!