94 Sentra - Dampness in trunk

Hello

We've seen a lot of rain in the San Francisco Bay Area during the last couple of weeks. I needed to use the trunk yesterday and noticed dampness on the floor and condensation on the roof of the trunk.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it ?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Most likely cause is leaking tail light housing gaskets or whatever they use to seal them to the body.

Reply to
Steve T

the water is most likely coming in thru the tail light on the body (nb. not that on the trunk lid)you might have to remove the light and place some ribbon seal around it to form a better seal. it seems these lights tend to warp after a while and allow water to seep in between the metal and the plastic. it also happens in the 90 to 93 models which are a different shape.

Reply to
96xekingcab

On 1/8/2005 1:18 PM US(ET), John Doe took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

My 93 Sentra used to leak in the trunk around the top of the wheel well where it meets the fender on the drivers side.

Reply to
willshak

the brake lights leak all the time on the sentras....I used clear silicone across the top of my lights and it never leaked again....the black gunk that nissan used around the lights is really nasty and I didn't want to get it all over the place.

Reply to
jason

On 1/8/2005 8:19 PM US(ET), jason took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

My taillights didn't leak and there were water marks running down from the top of the wheel well. Some even had evidence of mud being mixed in with the water. It was apparently thrown up by the wheel when driving in the rain. There was that gunk kinda roughly brushed at the joint but it was painted over. Just offering another thing to check, just in case his taillights didn't leak either.

Reply to
willshak

If a rear quarter panel was installed due to a accident, the trunk lid gasket in a upper (corner) sometimes the welds are sealed with a body caulk and it could be leaking there. The best way to find out is to get into the trunk with a flashlite and have some one water it down with the water hose.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa