'94 Sentra instrument panel lights

This morning my headlamps were dim and the radio worked intermittently so I dropped off the car at the repair shop. They replaced the alternator under warranty (1 year old or so).

I picked up the car after they closed and it ran fine going him but 1 mile or so down the road the Brake warning light AND the Charging or Electrical system light both came on. I tried turning off the engine and restarting and the lights stay lit now.

Would this still be a problem in the charging system with both lamps lit? What are the likely causes?

That both lights are lit has me confused.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Robbie Wilson

Robbie,

You called that one pretty well! Turns out the "new" alternator was dead. It was a rebuild alternator as it was replaced under warranty and I am told new ones are not available and are very expensive. I couldn't remember what the symptoms were the last time the alternator died about a year ago.

Here's the full story on this car's electrical system:

19 May 1997: 52,191 miles - purchased vehicle, alternator was original equipment

28 Aug 1999: 111,620 miles - replaced battery (6 year warranty)

19 Oct 2002: 183,400 miles - alternator replaced, $196 parts + labor. First time alternator replaced. 3 Jun 2003: 197,614 miles - alternator went bad was replaced under warranty - no charge for part or labor. Replaced belts also and replaced battery (just in case) got pro-rated credit for 26 months life left on battery warranty.

28 Aug 2003: 202,566 miles - alternator went bad replaced - no charge for parts or labor

29 Sept 2004: 226,839 miles - alternator went bad replaced - no charge for parts or labor

30 Sept 2004: 226,841 miles - alternator went bad replaced - no charge for parts or labor

So, this car is now on it's 5th alternator counting this one and yesterday's! :-)

I'm not complaining because except for the time involved it does not cost me anything. The repair shop is the best repair shop I have ever worked with. We have 4 cars in the family and have all our work done there. They probably hate to see me pull up though.

I got to wondering about the economics of driving the car anymore. If I total up all the costs I have spent on this vehicle, including purchase (entire principal and interest), all the fuel, preventive maintenance, repair maintenance (but excluding insurance only) I have spent $20,573.67 for the 174,650 miles I have driven it. That's about 11.7 cents per mile. I have a computer program where I have log all the costs. I have tracked every dime spent on the car including tires, replacement hubcaps, etc. - the works. The car has averaged 34.5 MPG in the 7+ years I have driven it. Every day I have a 80 mile round trip commute.

I am looking to buy a new one (or slightly used) but I plan to keep running this one until the repair costs really do get expensive or the reliability becomes a serious problem. Yesterday was only the 2nd time that I missed some work due to an unexpected breakdown.

I would be interested to hear of anyone else's experience with their Nissan.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

this happens all the time when aftermarket rebuilt alternators are used.

If you want it fixed, use a Nissan Factory OEM rebuilt alternator

Jesus, I wish I had a dollar for every time I said that, I could freaking retire !

Reply to
NissTech

Nisstech,

Yeah, you wrote that a year or two ago when the alternator went out.

It's working fine now after the replace. I checked today and I can't find a Nissan Factory OEM rebuilt alternator for '94 Sentra, with GA16DE.

How much would it cost?

This alternator didn't cost me anything for replacement. Is there a guarantee on the Nissan Factory OEM rebuilt alternator?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Buy a spare rebuilt and keep it along with some tools and jumper cables in the trunk. That should hold you.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

ROTFLMAO

Reply to